Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Book Review: Extras

Title: Extras
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Genre: Dystopian (YA)
Length: 417

Quality Rating: 8
Content Rating: PG

I'm not sure this book helped the Uglies series as a whole. The Trilogy ended with Specials, and I kind of liked it that way. It left us imagining what the future could look like - imagining the new depravities humanity might imagine. Sort of like when the statue is crying at the end of the last Planet of the Apes movie. Is he crying because humanity and apes have finally learned to live together? Or because he knows they never will? Regardless of whether Mr. Westerfeld should have left the series as a trilogy and never written this book, it was a very engrossing read. I didn't want to read it in a short time (I'm trying to make my books last so I spend a little less money), but I still read it in a couple of hours. But that might be because the book exploited all my weaknesses as an AE (aerospace engineer): inhuman beings, mention of things shooting into space, and cute little robot things.

This book is definitely PG. There are some explosions and some people get kidnapped at one point- but its definitely more PG than the previous book in the series. Heck, this book might even by G, but lets add the "parental" to the G just for good measure. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment