Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Book Review: The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice Book 3)

Title: The Ranger's Apprentice: The Icebound Land
Author: John Flanagan
Genre: Fantasy (MG)
Length: 266

Quality Rating: 7
Content Rating: PG

I greatly enjoyed this book! It was definitely an improvement over the previous installment (so I'm definitely thinking it was just a sophomore slump). I felt Evalynn and Will's confusion and fear as they were enslaved. I felt Halt's pain as he turned his back on his life as a Ranger to save Will. This was a book that flirted with deep emotions, and I thought it was great. I could have done with a little more exploration of these feelings, but like many male authors, John Flanagan seems to have a hard time channeling feelings perfectly.

This book does explore the drug addiction and its affects, so parents should be forewarned. But other than that, there is a little fantasy violence, but nothing too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment