Friday, February 4, 2011

A Book Review: I Am Number Four

Title: I Am Number Four
Author: Pittacus Lore*
Genre: Soft Science Fiction (YA)
Length: 440

Quality Rating: 6
Content Rating: PG

I Am Number Four is a book I picked up because its being made into a movie, and I always like to read the book before I see the movie. The idea of the story is intriguing. You basically have some kids who are brought to Earth because their homeworld was destroyed. They have (or rather will have) superpowers. They are being hunted by their destroyers and can only be killed in number order. Numbers One through Three are dead and our main character is Number Four.

This idea could have gone in many ways and been truly fascinating--sort of like Superman meets Roswell. However, the characters came across as a little flat. They didn't really grow and change throughout the book. And the characters seemed a little too similar to the characters in Roswell. Mysterious alien, girl who once dated a football player who happens to be the sheriff's son....Roswell, anyone?

I give this book a PG rating for SF violence and some pretty mean bullying at the beginning. There is a lot of kissing, but nothing too deep or intense.

*Pittacus Lore is the pseudonym of a writing duo: James Frey and Jobie Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment