Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Book Review: Clockwork Angel

Title: Clockwork Angel
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: Urban Fantasy with a Steampunk feel (YA)
Length: 476

Quality Rating: 8
Content Rating: PG-13

Read First: City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass

If you liked the Mortal Instruments, you'll like this book. If you like Steampunk, you may like this book, which is an Urban Fantasy that takes place in Victorian England. If you can't tell from the name, it has plenty of clockwork inventions and an inventor who definitely seems like he walked out of a steampunk novel.

So you may notice that I ranked this book as liking it slightly less than the Mortal Instruments. Why is that? Well, possibly its because I really wanted Jace, Clary, and Alec to be in the book and since its a prequel they weren't and that made me unhappy. I had to go about learning a whole new set of characters. However, its also possible because these characters felt very similar to the Mortal Instruments characters. Will seemed like a little more extreme Jace. Jem was like a straight and sickly Alec. Tessa, a non-Shadowhunter Clary. They were so close to the characters I wanted to read about but not quite them. I would have been happier with completely different characters.

Of course, I still got Magnus, and quite a different viewpoint of him. It was interesting to see him in the past, dating a vampire chic.

Plot wise the story is completely unique from the Mortal Instruments so definitely worth a read from that aspect. I did like this book immensely despite feeling that the characters were very similar to the characters of the Mortal Instruments. I'm hoping that's just a first book impression and that in the sequel they're more fully realized as unique individuals. I have great hope for these characters and this novel.

As for rating, these books are PG-13. No sex, plenty of violence, and some characters are killed. So just keep that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment